Saturday, March 31, 2007

"How i love wednesdays" or "Comic book persecution"

Wednesday is my favorite day of the week!
Why you ask?
Because it's new comic day!!!
I love going into my favorite comics store and hand-picking my books for that week. Seeing all the new stuff, checking out the covers, talking nerdy comics stuff with fellow comic nerds, (except those like in pookie's blog Pookies_World- look at blog titled-Weirdness Magnet, Anyone? ). We say stuff like "who is the more powerful cosmic entity, Galactus or Darkseid?" "who's faster, the Flash or Superman?" "which company is better, Marvel or DC?" Stuff like that.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

I still remember people making fun of me when I was younger, saying comics are stupid, comics are for kids, shit like that. Now, with all the great comics related TV shows and movies out there, comic book awareness is on the rise. HOORAY! Most would still rather sit down and watch a Spider-man movie then pick up a Spidey comic, but I think that says more about our society's collective inability to read, than the quality of "that there funnybook".
Trust me folks, comics have grown up by leaps and bounds.
People still make fun of me now as an adult saying.."how can you like that kiddie stuff?" "aren't you too old for comics?" "have you ever seen the outside of your mother's basement?" "have you ever kissed a girl?"
'myspace
Well....I'm happily married, my mom doesn't have a basement (she has a dungeon), and no, I'm not too old for comics, and neither are you. I watch football and drink beer like any other guy. I look just like anyone else, except when I wear a comic book themed shirt or cap. That's the only way to identify me as a comic geek. When I meet some idiot who asks me that kind of crap I say "have you watched 300?.....it's a comics book. or have you seen sin city?....it's a comic book. or even road to perdition?....yep, you guessed it, comic book." (or graphic novel, if you're uppity)
and please don't pass judgements on me for being a comic book fan while you're in line buying tickets for ghost rider. People can be such morons!!!
Look, I'm a comic fan and I will always be a comic fan. In other countries (Japan, for instance), comics are a legitimate source of entertainment for adults, as well as kids. Please don't use that double standard of bashing my passion for comics for being "lowbrow" when you sit at home watching "reality" television like american idol or wife swap. That's great if ya like it, but watching that makes you no better than someone watching soaps, or reading romance novels, or writing blogs, or enjoying comics.
It's ALL entertainment, and if it brings you joy doing it, and doesn't hurt others,
GO FOR IT!
'myspace
Next time, I'll post about a specific subject.
i just don't know what....(star trek, battlestar galactica, doctor who, marvel, DC, captain america, lost, heroes, transformers, spidey 3, politics,etc, etc, etc,) the list goes on.......

15 comments:

MacGuffin said...

Wow, must be nice to have a quality comic shop. Thank the gods for on-line shopping, otherwise, i'd be proper fucked for dorky shite. Oh, and I prefer "Sequential Novels" or "Graphic Fiction" or non-fiction as well I suppose. "Comic Books" is a misnomer in essence due to the fact that "comics" usually are of a serious nature, not comic or silly at all. "Pictograms" captures the idiom nicely as well. Okay, i'm yankin yer chain. Did I have ya goin at all? hehe...

Pookie said...

davey-what's it like to be proper fucked? didn't know there was a proper way. hahahaha. love ya.

MacGuffin said...

Yes yes, quite proper as in thoroughly. Sounds like buckaroo's down for a demo. Have fun kids.

buckaroo banzai said...

boy, vox and davey, you guys are in the right place! i don't just wear a geek squad hat..i have the whole geek outfit (secret decoder ring and all). of course unlike you guys, i'm more into the super hero spandex set and a little less into the indy scene. more batman and less clowes. not that there is anything wrong with "indies". some of my favorite comics are indy (madman, scud, walking dead, etc.) besides indy comics are the new mainstream. haven't ya heard?

MacGuffin said...

Oh, I'm still into my fair share of spandex, just not in my comics. ;)

Blancodeviosa said...

Dude, I know you want one of these!!!

Blancodeviosa said...

and ,i dedicated one just for you. it was that or the japanese pirate video.. argh...

Pookie said...

Hey Blanco-Bucky wanted me to tell you that he WAS already in the video. He was the one wearing the Optimus Prime Costume. lol

His words again- "If I had that costume I would so be wearing it to the movie."

FYI: He tried to post this comment but couldn't.

Mob said...

I loved the impassioned post about how you've learned to love your inner dork, but my first clue was the Stoprmtrooper avatar dryhumping me for the past ten minutes while I read through the post and comments.

As always, your enthusiasm for the medium is hard to resist, but I will continue to wait out the monthly stuff in favor of a trade collection, because I'm getting too old to be moving sixteen long boxes of crap to find back-issues of whatever I get a wild hair to re-read.

buckaroo banzai said...

mob you magnificent bastard!!!!
hope ya had fun on your trip.
most comics these days are written with the trade format in mind. in fact, joey Q at marvel has said that he openly embraces the idea of collecting by trade. no wonder because almost 35-40% of his comic sales are trades. so feed that inner geek by TPBs my friend!

oh yeah...i only dryhump the ones i love

MacGuffin said...

buckaroo, you were suppose to keep me entertained on a daily basis like mob. Don't let America down!

Knitty Yas said...

yeah well the norm for nerdboys is still widely accepted as opposed to the nerdgirl situation where not only do we get the flack from everyone else, but nerdboys often give us taht elitist charm that makes us all want to kick them in the nards.

i myself rarely conversate with nerdboys because of the fact that by the end of the conversation, i'm soo turned off, you might as well scrap my droid ass.

but nothing.. nothing will take the love of comics away from me.

buckaroo banzai said...

good for you yas!
i hate when women get treated badly at comics shops. (ignored, hit on,etc.) there are a few at my shop and they are like one of the guys.
they don't take any shit from anyone. i like strong women(ask pookie)
keep that love for comics alive! it's almost like a new golden age of comics. (well maybe not golden....but close.) it's the best comics have been since the early to mid 90's

Knitty Yas said...

YES! It's the gold plated age of comics!!

MacGuffin said...

Shouldn't we be on the oil standard for comix now instead of precious metals? This is the Light Crude Oil age i think.

macguffin=daveyyo